Me and my sis on aunts first farm.

Me and my sis on aunts first farm.
Shelley and Jolene learn to farm early on!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Well, it seems my networking in this small town is really paying off. I was talking about needing some new appliances, to some of the locals, awhile ago and two days ago, I got a call about a free fridge, including delivery. So I finally have a full size fridge in my place!!! This will help me out alot when it comes to grocery shopping because I wont have to do so many trips into town on the icy roads. Its going to use abit more power then my little bar fridge, but I plan on unplugging the deep freeze for the winter. Its only me out there and I havent slaughtered anything yet, so I dont need alot of freezer space. This should even it out alittle.  Even better then the fridge tho, is the generator that will be coming next week. I had this nagging fear of the power going out in the middle of winter and me being stranded with no electricity and water (because of the water pump) But I just couldnt afford a generator at this point. I mentioned this concern to a couple people and low and behold, I now have one to use for the winter, which is awfully nice. Although, that being said, really hope I wont have to use it at any point...lol.   The snow is here for good now and so far, Jackson and I are loving it. Iv spent the last couple days searching out drafts in the house and sealing them off.  A neat little trick I learnt from my mother is insulating your electrical outlets. They actually make small, thin pieces of foam that fit behind the outlet cover and stop alot of the warm air from escaping. Didnt even knew these handy things existed, but we found them at Rona and they do make a difference. Also, those plastic plugs to baby proof the outlet help, if there is an outlet you dont regularly use, plug one in and your good to go. Every little bit helps right. Im really trying to discipline myself not to use the furnace much. Its warm in the evening with the fire going but by the morning, there are icicles on the inside of some of the windows. Makes for a frigid morning before I get the fire going again. I think this winter is really going to test my strength...

No comments:

Post a Comment