Me and my sis on aunts first farm.

Me and my sis on aunts first farm.
Shelley and Jolene learn to farm early on!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

...is it mid august, ALREADY?!?

Well look at that, again its been way too long since my last post. So long in fact, I couldnt even remember my password and had to change it in order to log in...lol. I really do try to get on the computer more often but there is just soooo much other work to do, that I dont think I turn this thing on more then three times a week. Needless to say, alot has happened out here over the past month and I cant believe its already the 21st of August, YIKES!!! Im going to go back to just after my last post, and create alittle time line for you.

July 28th. Well, we are moving along quite well out here. The turkeys are growing like crazy, the size of an average chicken already, and starting to eat me out of house and home...lol. I am raising white turkeys, which are basically designed to grow big and fast, so its common that sometimes they end up with a deformed leg. Unfortunatly, I have two of them. I have them in a dog crate inside the turkey coup, so that they dont get trampled on and still get food and water. At first they werent too bad off, but now one cant even stand up. I feel so sorry for them, and just want to put them out of their misery. I was trying to holdout until they were alittle bigger so I didnt loose two full turkeys, but I dont think I can do it. My point when I came out here was to grow and produce ethnically and enviro-friendly food, and I feel bad about these two little turkeys. At the same time, I cant do the deed myself. Im okay being around the turkeys being slaughtered, Im just not ready to be the one dropping the axe quite yet. So Im looking for someone that has the time to come down here and help me out. In the mean time, Im trying to give them as good as a life as possible. And when I let the other turkeys out into the yard, I move these two little guys to an outside pen, and back and forth...lol. I really need to toughen up as a farmer, this process is taking up too much of my time. But I just cant help it....to be continued

1 comment:

  1. While I have done it I know what you mean about dropping the axe. My cousin and wife are going to the parents farm out by Waskatenau(north east of Edmonton)I think this weekend to kill and process chickens.They will be leaving from the camrose area and heading up that way. If you are within reasonable driving distance I would be happy to connect you to up. They have no problem killing anything.
    I read a few of your other posts and If you have not solved your electrical problem/useage shoot me a email, and I am sure I can walk you through testing anything.
    One last thing 2000.00 for a tower? That would get you a complete mill(otherpower.com).Used Oilfield pipe is cheap, check around before you spend your hard earned coin.
    Welcome to Alberta.

    ReplyDelete